The cotton used in our t-shirts is grown by small holder farmers in Uganda, each managing about 1-3ha of land. Our farmers are part of the Cotton Made in Africa (CmiA) network, an initiative of the Aid by Trade Foundation, which aims to improve social conditions in developing countries by helping people help themselves through industry.
When you buy an Empower Collection shirt:
• You're supporting the 5,400 CmiA cotton farmers registered in Uganda, and helping them to earn a fair wage (on average 30% more than conventional cotton farmers).
• You’re empowering women: 20% of all CmiA farmers are women. CmiA adheres to the principal of equal remuneration for men and women. They also support women’s economic independence by giving women in cotton growing regions equal access to education, training and financial assistance. Click here to find out more
• You’re saving water. CmiA farmers practice rainfed agriculture, which relies exclusively on rainfall instead of artificial irrigation methods. This saves an incredible 2000L of water for every kilogram of cotton fiber made, with 40% fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Click here to find out more
• You know that your shirt hasn’t contributed to the deforestation of primary forests. Forest-based fabrics currently make up 5% of the global apparel industry, and that number is set to double in the next 20 years. Our farmers practice sustainable agricultural methods and are actively committed to environmental stewardship.
• You can be assured that the cotton in your shirt does not use any hazardous pesticides or herbicides during the cultivation process. CmiA also prohibits the use of genetically modified seed stock, making your cotton t-shirt 100% natural.